I like Paleo, I really do. I’m a super picky eater, but I’ve found a few recipes that work for me. The absolute hardest thing (I think) to make on Paleo is desserts. Most “healthy” desserts taste gross. I’m sorry, but pureeing zucchini and calling it chocolate is wrong on so many levels. I’ve been trying to be really good. I had a horrible day on Friday at work, so I needed something sweet. Yes, it was an actual need. And of course that was the day someone brings in cookies from a Mennonite bakery. The kids at school call them crack cookies, because they’re that good. I resisted and put all my frustration into finding Paleo desserts on Pinterest. After a while of searching, I found one! I left work, got all the ingredients, and made it that night. So good! I try Paleo desserts with some reservation. Typically, if a dessert’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free, it’s also disgusting. This one’s not – I promise! It actually tastes like a brownie! Since I finally found a winner, I thought I’d share it with y’all! I hope you like it as much as I do!
- In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Pulse in squares of dark chocolate until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in dates until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in eggs
- Pulse in coconut oil and stevia until mixture is smooth
- Transfer mixture to a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Mixture will be very thick, smooth with a spatula
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes
- Cool for 2 hours, then serve
Makes 16 brownies
- Place coconut milk fat, coconut sugar, and honey in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes
- Allow caramel sauce to cool for 5 minutes
- Stir in shortening until completely dissolved
Makes about ¾ cup caramel sauce –store in refrigerator
- Combine coconut milk and chocolate in a small saucepan
- Heat over very low heat
- Stir until melted
- Remove from heat
- Drizzle over ice cream, brownies or cake
Makes 1/3 cup ganache
- Allow the Paleo Brownies to cool
- Drizzle with Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Refrigerate for ½ hour
- Drizzle with Chocolate Ganache
- Refrigerate to firm
Makes 16 brownies –store in refrigerator
Now, I must give credit where credit is due. I got this from http://www.elanaspantry.com/. I can’t wait to check out more of her recipes. Brownies without the guilt . . . Bad day? What bad day?
Want proof it’s good? There you go.
Mom tested. Kid approved.